Ask a Homeopath   »  

33 years old, very high blood pressure. On metoprolol medication for lowering BP. How can I lower my BP?

I'm 33 and my blood pressure was 200 over 100 and I got a doctor to give me metoprolol 50 mg and my blood pressure is still 150 over 96
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Alternative Medicine
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 6 hours later

Thank you for posting in the query

I would like to know for how long have you been on Metoprolol, a beta blocker drug?
Most medications take a few days to show their effect. You will need to monitor your heart rate as well.

Please note that Beta blockers are contraindicated in peripheral circulatory disturbances, asthmatics and heart failure patients.

You might require an additional class of drugs like Diuretics to reduce your blood pressure in case your BP is not under control only with Metoprolol.

Before you start any medication, it is advisable that you get the following tests done.
Complete blood count, Creatinine, Blood Urea Nitrogen, Lipid profile, Liver enzymes, Fasting and Post prandial sugars, Electrolytes, Electrocardiogram.

Medication is only one part of the total treatment of hypertension.

You need to incorporate life style changes as well for better control.
Decreasing salt intake to less than 4g/day.
Weight control and exercise.
Decreasing stress levels.
Restricting use of alcohol and cessation of smoking if any.
Treating co-morbidities like Diabetes or Dyslipidemia (high cholesterol), Hormonal disturbances if any.

Hope I have answered your query. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.