33 year old with elevated blood pressure readings in the mornings. Do I have hypertension?

Hi Doctor,

I am XXXXXXX aged 33 and weight around 87 kgs.My bp is normally around 136/95(when i wake up after evening sleep) ,145/85 In that range and some times.I need to still check my BP freshly after waking up early morning.
I want to know whether i am having high blood pressure.Will reducing my wieght would help me.please give me some tips .I am planning for a 1 month diet with exercising at XXXXXXX and planning to eat salad and fruits,and vegatable juices during this period.Please let me know .Thanks for your time
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Based on the reading provided by you, I would consider you to be borderline hypertensive needing no medications. Such blood pressures can be normalized by life style modification, salt restrictions and weight loss.

You are on the right path of reducing weight. Do reduce fat and carbohydrate content in the diet. Consume fruit and vegetable salads instead of meals especially in nights.

Regarding burning fat you may have to go for Cardio exercises like Spinning, cross trainer and jogging. Do not go for weight exercises now as they may increase the muscle appetite and may not help to reduce the weight.

Avoid taking any medications to reduce weight, natural way by diet restriction and exercise is safe and effective method.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns,

Follow-up: 33 year old with elevated blood pressure readings in the mornings. Do I have hypertension? 1 hour later
Hi Dcotor,

Thanks for your kind reply.Before 3 month i took viagra tablet 100 mg during sex with my girl friend,instead of breaking it into 4 pieces and taking 25mg each.Do you think whether this might have caused my high blood pressure to raise.I only took it once.
Also i use the following tablets IC HYDROCHLOROTHIAIZD, IC Pottasiam citrate,IC Allopurninol to avoid formation of calciam kidney stones as precribed by a doctor since i had 2 times operation.Whehter this coudl have cause my BP to go high.
Currently i have 2 kidney stones each 4 and 5 mm,which i am going to oeprate in next 2 months using shockwave treatment.Do you think since the stones prevent kidney to function at it's regular flow the heart might need to pump blood at high rate which would have cause high BP since my BP was 130/82 before 6 months,

I also take codliver fish oil which contains omega 3 fatty acids will this along with the kidney stone medicine could that have caused high blood pressure.
I love seafoods I can definetly stop eating chicken,beef ,Pork But i like crab,fish(all kinds),Lobsters Do i need to really stop these as well.
If i follow a strict vegetarian routine with salads and frusits and exericese patterns as you have mentioned(caridio..examl?),Can i bring down my hypertension to normal.

Greatly appreciate your response

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, none of the above medications like Viagra, Hydrochlorthiazide, Potassium citrate, Allopurinol, codliver oil and kidney stones of size 4 and 5 mm can cause the marginal rise of blood pressure as in you.

You can take sea foods, chicken, beef and pork but do reduce the frequency.

Yes, the exercises I mentioned above will surely help you to get the blood pressure into normal range.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.