33 year old with chest pain, palpitations, pain in the left arm. No history of cardiac problems. Could this be myocarditis?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
hi i have been having chest pains for 2 months now. I am 33 years old, i have been in the er a few times and they said i was fine. In the last few weeks though i have developed heart palpatations that r pretty bad. I have a cardiologist and we r running some tests. I also get pain in my left arm and back. I have had ekgs, stress test a month ago and that all came back fine. Since the symtoms have changed to heart palps though it has gotten rough. Do u think this could be myocarditis? Would a heart ct find imflamation? Also the left side of my body feels kinda different. I dont smoke and have no family history of heart problems. What do u think?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 7 hours later

I have gone through your query and I shall try to give you some information pertaining to your query. I understand that your symptoms are bothering you and you seem concerned of presence of myocarditis / other heart illness.

As you say your EKG’s were fine and you don’t seem to have symptoms like fever, it is less likely to be myocarditis. Though echo cardiogram would give little more additional information and help us rule out myocarditis / other heart ailment.

Based on your symptoms, you are more likely to have alternate problems like acid peptic disease, cervical spondylosis or simple stress and anxiety issues.

As far as diagnosis inflammation, CT scans would not reveal any inflammation. MRI of heart may be used to reveal signs of inflammation. But they are not used as regular test to detect heart pathology.

I would suggest you to follow up with your cardiologist and if your symptoms persist and doctors don’t find anything in routine test, you should have Echocardiogram and Holter test done.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any concern. Do accept the answer if you have no other queries.