Ask a Urologist   »  

33 year old with bed wetting problem, ammonia smell in urine. Have IUD inserted. Home urine test done. Causes for bed wetting?

I am a 33 year old female. The past 2 months I've been wetting the bed nightly. I do not drink or do drugs. My urine smells terrible but it doesn't burn when I pee, no fever, I don't have to urgently go then nothing comes out. It smells more ammonia like its not sweet. I took a home UTI test and had a very positive teat for leukocytes but was negative for nitrates. I also got told today by my boyfriend that his ex contacted him and she chlamydia. Could this be causing me to wet the bed? I know chlamydia can cause uti but wouldn't I be having uti symptoms? Please help! And I am going to the doctor in the morning as well. But I can't stop thinking about this. Also, don't know if it has any relevance but I do have a mirena iud that I've had about 8 months. Thank you!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have similar problems during the day?
2.) Are you diabetic or hypertensive?
3.) How many times have you wet the bed from the past two months?
4.) Do you consume excess caffeine?
5.) Do you feel any mass coming out of your vagina?
6.) When was Mirena Inserted?

Your history suggests you have Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis, kindly get yourself examined by a Urologist so that he may do a comprehensive physical and Neurological Evaluation and suggest few tests like,

1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Urinalysis.
3.) Urine Culture.
4.) Uroflowmetry to test for amount of urine, time taken and flow rate.
5.) Ultrasound abdomen to look for post void residual urine volume.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly with medications and behavioral therapy, like monitoring your fluid intake, bladder training.

If Mirena is still there, get a opinion from a Gynecologist, to look for if it is misplaced and causing bladder irritation.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: 33 year old with bed wetting problem, ammonia smell in urine. Have IUD inserted. Home urine test done. Causes for bed wetting? 2 hours later
No I do not have similar problems during the day. I am not diabetic nor do I have high blood pressure. And I am pretty small. I am 5'3'' 112 pounds. In the past 2 months I wet the bed every night. I've started wearing a diaper with plastic pants over that and still wake up wet. I do drink about 4 cups of coffee a day but am done with caffeine by 10 in the morning. I cannot feel any vagina masses. My mirena was inserted February of 2011. I can still feel the strings. But like I said I do have a high amount of leukocytes in my urine from the home uti test I took. None of my parents or siblings have this problem and I was potty trained overnight by age 4. Its concerning and embarrassing.

Thank you for writing back to me.

Adult onset secondary enuresis is a condition which is associated with few conditions. renal stones, bladder irritation, excess caffeine intake and so on are few causes that can be named.

Positive leucocytes on home UTI test can be due to Urinary tract infection. A routine urine analysis and culture test will confirm presence of infection. Infection could be due chlamydial or any other non sexually transmitted infection causing organism. Some times we do see patient reported to have infection without usual symptoms.

If the string is felt outside, it is unlikely that the IUD is the reason for the symptoms.

So I encourage you to consult your doctor who can guide you through the test.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.