33 weeks pregnant, throat infection, loose motions. Suggested treatment ?

Hello Doctor, I am 33 weeks pregnant now, I am suffering from throat infection since 2 days. I am bit worried as I had loose motion twice in last 5hrs. Please help me out.
Is my baby doing good? Should I consult a gynecologist? Can I take medicines if they suggest?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. Since you are having throat infection in the last trimester of pregnancy, a streptococcal sore throat is important to be ruled out. Your doctor will most likely give you a “strep test” (a simple throat culture collected by a swab to the tonsils) to determine if it is in fact a strep infection. You may need a course of antibiotics then.

The loose stools that you had could have been due to stomach infection by viruses or bacteria. But it is better to get any diarrhea in last trimester of pregnancy checked by a doctor. This is because diarrhea can be a sign of early labor with other symptoms like increase in contractions, bloody show and losing the mucus plug following loose stools. Your baby should be fine with these GI symptoms but it is better to get a gynecological check up to rule out any premature labor.

Till you consult your doctor, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take paracetamol (acetaminophen) only after consulting your gynecologist because any drug is taken in pregnancy only when its uses outweigh its risks. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help. Also incorporate these lifestyle changes to prevent further spread of infection:

1)     Wash hands thoroughly with an antiseptic soap after using the toilet or before handling food.
2)     Clean bathrooms and toilets often especially the toilet seats and taps.
3)     Avoid raw vegetables and street foods. Also drink clean and boiled water.
4)     Take adequate clear liquids or oral rehydration solution. Also avoid alcoholic, caffeinated, or sugary drinks and apart from fluids, gradually take light and easy to digest foods like rice, wheat, breads, potatoes, low-sugar cereals and lean meats.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.