32 year old woman. Liver test done. AST and ALT out of range. Test analysis ?

i am a 32 year old female my weight is 180 lbs. and i am 5'3'' tall i was told my liver test came back to be 20 points outside the normal range what does that mean?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 19 minutes later

Thank you for posting in the query.

Liver test or liver function test helps us to know how the liver is performing. It includes Bilirubin levels and Enzyme levels of SGOT, SGPT, GGT and also Protein levels.

Could you go back to your test reports and let me know exactly which level has come 20 points outside?

There are many reasons for deranged liver function like alcohol use, medications, infections etc.

You can upload your report on the right side if query page, so that I could help you better.

I can answer your query on broad sense once I get your report.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr Gowri
Follow-up: 32 year old woman. Liver test done. AST and ALT out of range. Test analysis ? 5 hours later
my ast was 4 points out of the normal range, and my alt was 20 points out of the normal range, i do not or have i ever smoke or drink
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 9 hours later

Thank you for reverting.

According to your reports, your AST (or SGOT) is 4 points out of normal and ALT ( or SGPT) is 20 points out of normal.

AST and ALT are enzymes formed in the liver which are usually elevated in certain liver conditions.

It is great to know that you do not consume alcohol as it is one of the commonest reasons for deranged liver functions.

As I see, you are on the following medications:

1. Maxzide, a diuretic for Hypertension
2. Nexium, a proton pump inhibitor for acid reflux

Maxzide can cause some derangement of liver functions and also affect pancreatic function.

I would suggest that you XXXXXXX your change this medication to another class of Anti-hypertensive drug.

Do not change or stop medications without consulting a doctor first.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Gowri