31 years old. Feeling tired, exhausted and having breathing difficulty. Protein deficiency?

Sep 2012

Doctor, my husband is 31 years old and is complaining of tiredness and exhaustion even after a good night's sleep for 4 weeks now. He also seems to have difficulty digesting non-vegetarian food (chicken, mutton and fish). He feels heavy after eating meat for a few hours and feels relieved only after defecating. I doubt he might have protein deficiency. What is your opinion? What should he do to correct this?
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 20 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, does he do a stressful job? If so, then first thing which he has to do is to relieve his stress. He can do yoga or freehand exercise. A break for few days is also helpful.

Now, apart from that, his tiredness and intolerance to protein diet is two different issues. For the tiredness and exhaustion, beside taking a break from job he should be investigated for presence of hypothyroidism or diabetes. For these, he has to do a battery of tests like thyroid profile (including T3, T4 and TSH) and fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels. For this, you have to consult with an endocrinologist for clinical examination and for further management accordingly.

For the indigestion, he should take a pantoprazole group of drug in empty stomach for minimum one month. Give him an enzyme syrup before taking main meals. If these fail to give relief, you have to consult with a gastroenterologist for clinical examination, and for ordering the required investigations and for further management.

Apart from these, you can give him a multivitamin with micronutrients.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.