31 year old having high blood pressure

Hi I'm a 31 year old male usually have normal blood pressure today I took it and it's reading 149/100 any reason for this
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Blood pressure is considered as pre hypertension if it is in the range of 120-139/80 to 89 and stage 1 hypertension when the readings are 140-160/100-110.
But blood pressure is very dynamic; there are various reasons for its transient increase for e.g.:
1. Exercise
2. Anxiety
3. Beverages like coffee and tea
4. Smoking
5. Pain
6. Diurnal variation in blood pressure is also seen.

Since your blood pressure is just borderline on the stage 1 hypertension I advise you to take serial readings of blood pressure at the same time and place for three consecutive days for a correct approximation of the situation.

Lifestyle modifications are advised in a pre hypertensive and medications are not started. Some of the life style modifications are

1. Stop smoking
2. Regular cardio exercises like cycling, running, rowing, etc for a minimum of 30 min a day for 5 days a week
3. Following a low salt diet
4. Loss of weight
5. Avoiding high fat diet
6. Yoga and meditation to reduce stress
7. Regular sleep cycles

Various trials have proven that these life style modifications especially loss of weight can bring down the systolic blood pressure by 10 points and are extremely beneficial.

I advise you to approach a physician with the readings and also get back to me so that I can help you better

I hope I have answered your query, please do let me know your readings I am awaiting your reply.

I wish you good health.