31 week pregnant. Feeling discomfort while walking. What precaution should I take?

Sep 2012

Hello dr,
I'm writing to u 4m India ! I'm currently in my 31st week! I have been put on bed rest because of excessive water ! There's discomfort in walking so mostly lying down! I'm worried about the eighth month! Please help! What precautions should I take! My 9th month starts on 13th feb,2013!
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, excessive fluid means presence of polyhydramnios. Here, the amniotic fluid is present on abnormally high level. In this condition, basic management depends on supportive care.

I can understand your concern. I am telling you about the precautions you can take
1.     Complete bed rest. This is most important.
2.     If you feel any discomfort like abdominal pain / any type of convulsion / swelling of leg / low urine output / bleeding, consult with your treating doctor immediately.
3.     Ultrasound monitoring to rule out any possibility of fetal complications.
4.     Consult with your treating doctor for indomethacin group of drug. Sometimes it becomes very useful.

So, these are the main precautions you can take. Rest of the management depends on many factors like appearance of any fetal complications, associated maternal complications and response to the treatment.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.