30 years old, male with late puberty. Relation with testosterone hormone with child hood?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi . I am 30 Male HEalthy but expereinced late puberty. |I am healthy adult male now . I have a question concerning historical testosterone secretion in my body as far back as infancy. Is it true that babies have a surge in tesosterone, so, did my body secreted testosterone when i was a baby?
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 27 minutes later
Yes, testosterone is produced in male babies since infancy however the levels during the childhood remain very low until puberty.
In the first weeks of life for male infants, testosterone levels rise. The levels remain in a pubertal range for a few months, but usually reach the barely detectable levels of childhood by 4–6 months of age.The function of this rise in humans is unknown. It has been speculated that "brain masculinization" is occurring since no significant changes have been identified in other parts of the body.
It's likely that all normal male babies including you must have secreted testosterone in infancy.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: 30 years old, male with late puberty. Relation with testosterone hormone with child hood? 41 minutes later
Thank you Doctor XXXXXXX for your advise.

Does this testosterone in infancy act on the pituitary gland, and does it act on AR Gene ? Or is there no chance for this as it converts to estrogen and acts on estrgoen receptor/gene instead?

In what cases would it be unlikely a normal baby boy secretes testosterone ?

I am interested to know whats happening at a intra-cellular level with testosterone and early childhood. Your advice would be much appreciated.

thanks and best regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
Answer 1.The testosterone secreted in infancy is converted to estrogen and crosses the blood brain barrier to attach to estrogen receptors .The exact function of this surge is unknown .
Answer 2. It's unlikely for normal babies not to have such a surge unless there is a defect in androgenesis or insensitivity / resistance to the androgen receptor . In such deficient cases the male babies( xy genetically ) may have undescended testis or underdeveloped male genitalia.
Disorders due to defective function of the androgen receptor result in 46 XY individuals presenting either with normal female external genitalia or with genital ambiguity or as normal male phenotype with a small phallus.

I apologise but I am not able to interpret the exact purpose of knowing the intracellular mechanism . Kindly elaborate as to what exactly you would like me to explain , the normal mechanism of androgens on the receptors or their effects on the male development whether physiological or pathological conditions ?
I have tried my best to provide you with a suitable answer , hope I have answered your query .
In case you have any further doubts ,kindly let me know and I ll be available to answer them .
Follow-up: 30 years old, male with late puberty. Relation with testosterone hormone with child hood? 8 hours later
Thanks for your kind advice Dr XXXXXXX

Actually my interest is in exposure to testosterone. when we are babies are exposed to testoserone via mother's testosterone?

I have one final question. From the above does that mean in a period outside of a male's puberty, testosterone quantities are present normally? I am normal and dont believe i had any genitalia issues when born or undescended testes.

I hope you can confirm for me so i can close the discussion . Thank you and wish you well.

Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Answer1. Maternal testosterone does indirectly affect the brain development of the fetus by decreasing DHEA ( Dihydroepiandrostenedione) available to the fetus.
fetus.  Testosterone inhibits the conversion of the background source, DHEAS (DHEA sulfate), to DHEA.  Therefore, the increased testosterone of mothers and male fetuses reduces overall DHEA which may cause growth restriction ,Low birth weight ,risk of SIDS etc .However its not likely to adversely effect the reproductive growth of the male fetus .

Answer2. Yes testosterone levels are present in a male child even apart from the pubertal surge . However the levels vary according to the age with a infantile surge to a plateau to a near undetectable in childhood to a pubertal surge.
A male infant typically has less than 30 nanograms/deciliter, or ng/dL, in his blood.
Teens between the ages of 14 and 15 years should produce enough testosterone for a blood level of 8 to 53 ng/dL of testosterone, while those between 16 and 19 years average between 200 and 970 ng/dL.

Hope I have answered your query.