30 years old and having shaky hands. Any advice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My age is only 30 years old and my hands have I started shaking. Please give some advice.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 54 minutes later

I see you are taking anti-epileptic drugs. These can cause drug induced tremors where there is involuntary shaking of limbs/hands. It is a simple nervous system and muscular response to the anti-epileptic drugs.

The tremors can be controlled as we stop the medications. However as you are on these drugs for other benefits, it is not advisable to stop them on your own. Discuss with your treating doctor about this problem and I am sure he/she will do the necessary changes. If symptoms do not improve, drugs like propranalol may be added to control these involuntary tremors.

Apart from that, we also need to rule out conditions such as:-
a) Anxiety
b) Low blood sugar
c) Too much coffee and tea
d) Thyroid dysfunctions and
e) Essential tremor
Your doctor through careful examination and investigations can rule these possibilities.

Therefore I encourage you to consult your treating doctor. Your symptoms are very much treatable. If you have any further assistance, I will be available for guidance.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you good health...