3 years old with stomach pain. No diarrhea or vomiting. Virus infection?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Hi, my three year old has been sick for 4 days now. Very lethargic, complaining an crying with stomach pain, eating a little and still drink inning. No fever or vomiting and diarrhoea.
I've had him at the doctors twice now and they think just a virus but he's getting no better and is upset more by the stomach pain. On the first day he went to toilet normally but hasn't now going on three days. Still urinating frequent. A urine test turned up nothing. Constantly asking for me to massage his tummy as it fells better
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
We understand your anxiety. Pain in the abdomen without fever or diarrhea rules out gastroenteritis. As you have not mentioned, I assume that pain has no relation with the food. Let me know if this assumption is correct.
Pain in the abdomen in this age group may be due to inflammation in liver
(hepatitis), appendix, pancreas, abdominal lymph node or it may be nonspecific pain which usually subsides on its own.
In few cases even after full investigations it is difficult to reach the diagnosis.

So now I would suggest to give him some antispasmodics along with some antacids after consulting the physician.
If pain persists for more than a week then an ultrasonogaphy of abdomen may be needed.
Till then don't get anxious as in most of the cases if there is no obvious finding on clinical and laboratory examinations (already ruled out by your doctors) this pain respond well to conservative management within a week or so.

Let me know if you have any more concerns.
I wish him good health
With regards