3 years old having loose bowel movement. Suggest some medicine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi My son is 3 years old .....and he passed motion ....3 times in a gap in 3 hours ....can you suggest medicine for him
we r from india.....and started passing motions from 7 pm yesterday....and passed 6 times till now.....last 3 motions were more loose
can u uggest medicine
he is not crying though

Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Diarrhea in children is usually brought on by gastrointestinal (GI) infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites. Most likely it is viral diarrhea. Such minor infections are usually self limiting and do improve in 3-5 days.

The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Preventing or treating dehydration in children focuses on replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this.
You can give prebiotic sachets(Flora) to the child twice daily to enhance the normal intestinal flora.
You can give oral rehydration treatments (such as Pedialyte or Infalyte) and they are available OTC in pharmacies or grocery stores. Rehydration fluids have a brief shelf life. Once a bottle has been opened or a mix prepared, it must be used or thrown out within 24 hours because bacteria rapidly grow in the solution.

If he is behaving normal and has normal appetite then there is nothing much to worry about. Gradually give him BRAT diet (i.e. bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet with curd and whitegrape juice.
In case the symptoms are persistent or it turns into a watery diarrhea then you need to consult a pediatrician for specific management.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: 3 years old having loose bowel movement. Suggest some medicine 4 hours later
Hi ..

Last two times he passed motion in XXXXXXX color.....with little less watery though.
But the gap is 3 hours ..... between two motions.

He ate just a single banana till now ....
we gave him derolac XXXXXXX (half) mixed in water it prebiotic XXXXXXX ??

And planning to give one half derolac after 6 hours ..
he is active with fever of around 101. Though he is active, we gave him crocin 5ml ...just to be on safe side..

Please tell us if Pedialyte or Infalyte are the company names or formula that we can inquire at medical shops.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Passing a XXXXXXX stool is commonly seen in diarrhea due to increased gut motility- the partially digested food is passed in stools. Passing stool every 3 hours is not worrisome. Supportive treatment will be helpful.
Derolac XXXXXXX is a prebiotic. You can give him one XXXXXXX every 12 hourly.
For fever continue with crocin every six hourly.
Pedialyte or Infalyte are company names. You can get these from your nearest pharmacy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.