3 year old is constantly drinking and urinating. Should I be worried?

My 3 yr old is constantly drinking and urinating. His urine his completely clear. Should i be worried?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The main concern with excessive drinking and urination is that there might be a problem with blood sugar. Elevated blood sugar causes us to want to drink more and consequently it causes an increase in urination. If there is any family history of diabetes this becomes even more of a concern.

The other possibility which could be contributing to these Symptoms is a doctor can easily test with a urinalysis.

I think you need to bring your child to see the pediatrician for a good physical examination as well as a urinalysis and possibly a blood test to check blood sugar levels.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns to discuss.

Dr. Robert