3 year old having painless lump on the side of knee. Should I be concerned?

Jul 2012

My 3 year old daughter has a lump on the side of her right knee, it is approximately 3 cm x 3 cm, quit significant when compared to her other knee. She denies any pain, no physical re
strictions have not been noticed.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
This 'lump' you mentioned seemed innocuous.
However, best to get investigated from a parent's point of view.
Note this is not restricting mobility. Does it reduce when the joint is 'flexed' or 'extended'? Is the edge slipping under the feel of fingers? Is it soft/fluctuant/cystic/hard to the feel? Is there any other lump in the area or similar smaller/larger lumps on any other part of the body notably scalp & trunk?
3cmx3cm is significant. Will understand that it will be difficult for you to answer all the questions i enquired of you. So the best advice anyone can give you is to fix an appointment with a dermatologist/surgeon & perhaps a painless FNAC of the 'lump' (Fine needle aspiration cytology) will allay all the fears.
Alternatively, please do upload a clear photograph of the lesion ...however, these lumps are best 'felt' than 'seen' ..hence my suggestion to definitely see someone @ Ground0. Cheers & do hope have lent direction to your thought process as regds the lump. It is not a matter or urgency but do go ahead & fix that appointment!
Cheers & wish you & your little one Good Health always!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD