3 year old having fever, diarrhea and vomiting. Taken brufen and panadol with entamizole. History of mosqito bite

My daughter 3 and half years old, having a high temperature of 102 and also lose motion since last night, she was feeling cold as well at night. Now this morning she had a vomiting in yellow colour but she is also not intaking any thing, I have given her brufeen syrup and panadol syrup alongwith Entamizole DS a dose at night and one at this morning. Please advise what should I do? She has also been bitten by mosquitos in last week. and what are your dignosis regarding her condition. (She is in Subcontinental Country)
Her mother gave her some water and ORS but she vomitted it out. she is not eating anything as well. Please your earliest possible reply is anticipated.
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I can appreciate your concern.

Looking to the complaints that she have there are couple of possibilities are there in her case.

1. Malaria-history of mosquito bite
2. Gastrointestinal infection: may be due to some food or water.
3.Viral infection.

In initial days the picture in all the conditions are same. At present the treatment remains same.

Without proper physical examination only guess can be made about the probable diagnosis.

Please do following which should help her in general.

1. Continue with panadol for fever. You should give in dosage of 15mg/kg/per dose. You can give up to 3-4 times in a day.
2. Give her anti emetic medicines for vomiting if you have any with you.Once vomiting stops things will come under control fast.
3. Give her plenty of liquids like ors, fruit juices etc. If she vomits, wait for half hour and then give again.
4. You can give her jello/ice to suck which will help in controlling vomiting and nausea.
5. Give her light diet to eat.Toast,fruits,curd,rice are better options.
6. Do not give any antibiotics at present

Normally she should be fine in a day in case of viral infection or mild G.I.Upset.

Please watch for following:
1. High grade continuous fever
2. Poor oral intake and continuous vomiting
3. Not passing enough urine
4. looking dull and feeling sleepy all the time.

Presence of any of the above needs immediate medical attention and visit to a doctor.Again the specific underlying cause may need specific treatment.

I hope this helps

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing her speedy recovery.