3 year old complains that clitoris hurts. Advised Vermox for pin-worms. No help. What can cause this ?

My 3 year old daughter complains daily that her clitoris hurts."She points to the tip of the clitoris" I have taken her to the ER twice just two days apart. They did urine test and ruled out UTI or bladder infection. They indicated it could be pinworms in her vagina,she was given 1 tablet of Vermox.She is still complaining of pain,she is with me 24/7 so any type of abuse can be ruled out. It is day and night of her saying "Mommy it hurts really bad" she even asks me to please fix it. She says it hurts when she touches something ,such as sitting down or just out of the blue she will start saying it hurts.I do not use soap or bubble baths on her and I have been wiping her to make sure she is wiping front to back, when she was about two years old she would contantly hold herself ,as if she needed to pee,when I would ask if she had to poty she always said no. That was my first time noticing the clitoris was a little large,like it stuck out of the lips. I am heartbroken I dont know what to do for her. Any ideas as to what may be causing this? any answers are greatly appreciated. I am trying to get her in to see a doctor,but we are visiting another state right now,so the ER was the only option until we return home.
Thank you so much for your time.
Concerned and puzzled mommy
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Pain in the clitoris can be due to several reasons.The most common reasons are sexual abuse(which you have ruled out),infections, nerve disorders, std,rashes skin irritation etc. In the 3 year old, most of these causes are ruled out.You need to have a specialist examine her to find out if there is any nerve disorders that is causing the pain,any XXXXXXX seated infection like vaginitis,yeast etc,abscess formations etc.
Treatment will be antibiotics in most of these cases. Enlarged clitoris or clitoromegaly is a very relative term in a child.In most children,the clitoris does appear a bit enlarged/protruding which is normal.Only examination by a doctor can reveal if there is true clitoromegaly. Since she is symptomatic for a long time,you need to rule out nerve conditions,infections and severe underlying diseases like diabetes.
Im afraid that no proper treatment can be uptaken unless the cause is found out.
Ice packs should help reduce the pain. A course of antibiotics may be necessary but a peadiatrician can adjust the proper dose for her.
Once you get home,please have her see a specialist.