3 year old child, mucus in urine, head cold, dark yellow urine. Should I take him to pediatric urgent care center ?

I noticed that my 3 year old son had a substance, that looked like mucus, in his urine, this morning. He is suffering from a head cold and I didn't know if it was related to that. The color of his urine was a dark yellow. Should I monitor this for 2 or 3 days or should I take him to the pediatric urgent care center immediately?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Slight amount of mucus in the urine in a child is a normal finding. It does not indicate any serious problem. Mucous threads can normally appear in urine, and it is a problem when a large amount of them are seen.
So, you need to monitor your son's urine for any more passage of mucus. Passing of mucus in large amounts might indicate inflammation or infection of the urinary tract. If you're seeing a large amount of mucus in the urine, or there are other symptoms, such as pain when urinating, frequent urination, burning, blood in urine, increased urgency, etc then a urinalysis is advised to test for presence of any infection.
Meanwhile ask him to have plenty of fluids so that he can pass a lot of urine which will clear any mild infection present right now.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.