3 year child took 200mg ibprophen pills. Will it have any side effects on eye surgery? What are the risks?

My 3 year old may have taken an unspecified about of 200mg ibprophen pills. I found the cotton from the bottle on the floor about 6 hours (wasn't sure what it was from at the time) ago and just now made the connection to the open bottle in my purse. It could have open in my purse and the cotton fallen out when I reached in my purse for something...I just really don't know if she could have taken any but am concerned with the what if? She seemed perfectly fine and went to bed for the night about 2 hours ago. Additionally she is having surgery in two days to correct a lazy eye...

What should I do? What are the side effects if she had taken some ibprophen? Could it interfer with surgery if she took any? She is very picky about what she eats so I doubt she would have had more than two without spitting them out, hopefully she didn't have any but I just don't know.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

I understand your worry. I am glad that your daughter is doing fine as of now.

There is always a possibility that she may have taken the pill. I am unsure, as you are.

Let me tell you few things.

1. The maximum daily dose of Ibuprofen that can be given will be not more than 1.2 grams. To be more specific, it should not cross more than 20mg/kg/day in a 3 years old child. Please calculate the maximum dosage for your child based on her weight. I would like to know her weight too, to suggest on the possible side effects.

2. The most common side effects will be epigastric pain and nausea and vomiting as Ibuprofen is gastric irritant. Electrolyte disturbances do occur.

3. I do not think it would interfere with her surgery in any way. She can go ahead with the procedure.

In my opinion, I do not see that she has consumed the tablet, as she is perfectly fine. Please look into if she complains of stomach pain.

In case she develops any of these side effects, please take her to the ER (Emergency Room) and get her examined. A gastric lavage is required in confirmed cases of overdosing or accidental poisoning.

I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Please do write back for any clarifications on this.

Do not worry; she will be fine soon.