3 year child noticed fluid filled lump on elbow. Hurts while pressing. How to get rid of these bumps?

Hi, My 3-year-old daughter somehow got about a 1-inch diameter lump on the side of her elbow - I'm not even sure what from. I noticed it one day and think she probably hit her elbow hard on something. It's not hard like bone, it's more of a firm, fluid-filled bump. It has never turned any colors like a bruise would. She's had it for maybe a week or two now, and it doesn't bother her at all (and she didn't even seem to realize she had it on her arm until I brought it to her attention), except that when I press on it she says it hurts just a little bit. I'm wondering what it is and if there's any way to get the bump to go away? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Based on your description, your child seem to have bursitis of the elbow. Our elbow joint is surrounded by fluid filled bursa ( its a sac like structure) which acts as a cushion. Occasionally, they can get enlarged; either spontaneously or after trivial trauma.

You can give her cold compresses for few days. If it does not subside or if it becomes painful, you should consult her physician.

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran