3 year child having cold and cough. Not cured by piriton cs and xylomist p. Any alternate medicine?

Hi Doctor,

My 3 year old son has been having cold and cough for the past 4 days. I took him to doctor and he diagnosed it as cold and cough. He was prescribed to do steaming and a couple of medications - just piriton CS and Xylomist P. His condition does not seem to be improving - he tends to cough when he eats and throw up everything everytime. Would giving him nebulizer be better with doulin? Should I give me mucolite? What about anti-biotics? Is yes, what is the dosage? The last time he had this, the cold cough became chest infection while he was on Xylomist P - that inturn developed into severe wheezing. He was even hospitalized for nebulization. We do not want to wait to that stage.

Could you help? He is 11.5 kgs, 3.1 years old.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Does he have fever?
2. How bad is the cough? Several episodes in an hour?
3. Is there mucous?
4. Can you hear wheeze while he is breathing?
5. Does he have asthma?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: 3 year child having cold and cough. Not cured by piriton cs and xylomist p. Any alternate medicine? 43 minutes later
Doctor, he does not have fever. Cough is bad when he eats or drinks. 1-2 times in an hour otherwise. There is mucous but little. I don't think there is wheezing this time round. He has never had asthma.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later

Thanks for replying

Since he does not have fever and the cough is about 1 to 2 times in an hour it does not call for antibiotics at this point. It looks like he is suffering from a viral pharyngitis and it takes about 3 weeks time to settle. Nebulisations especially saline and n acetlylcysteine Nebs help the cough, duolin is of no use since there is no wheeze.

Give it time I am sure he will do well, however if he develops fever I would re consider my diagnosis and I would like to put him on antibiotics like aZithromycin once a day for three days.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to reply
I wish him a speedy recovery