3 weeks pregnant, punching stomach, no bruise, pain, spastic diplegia, cerebral palsy

When I was approximately 3 weeks pregnant, I punch myself in the stomach 3 times. It left no bruising, no pain, just a lot of guilt when my son was born with Spastic Diplegia. (I was suffering from post pardom depression from my first child and the thought of having a 2nd child when I was already so exhausted hit me hard when I found out. I was "not" being treated for depression at the time. I was too stubborn to admit I was despite knowing it ran strongly in my family. I wasn't treated until months after having my son.) Did I cause my son to born with this form of Cerebral Palsy?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 minutes later
Hello ,

At 3 weeks post conception, the embryo is very small and well protected by the uterus, the pelvic bones, the intervening abdominal viscera and abdominal muscles.

Any punches that were self imposed, and did not cause any bruises or severe abdominal pain would not cause any issues to the embryo, as the uterus is just about 5-8 cm in length and well protected by the abdominal viscera as well as the pelvic bone.

Hence the cause of your son having spastic diplegia could not have been caused by your action, during your depressed state of mind.

You might consult your treating psychiatrist, who can counsel and provide reassurance.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.