3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while urinating. Normal behavior ?

Hi, my 3weeks old baby girl cries while passing urine. She also holds her body tight while passing urine. Is it normal?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I appreciate your concern for your baby.

From the description you have provided, I understand that your baby cries while passing urine.

I would like to reassure you that this is not something you should worry much about.

Newborns cry for many reasons, following are some of the common reasons why they cry;

1. Hunger.
2. Irritation caused by cold urine.
3. For no reason - Newborns cry for about 3 hours a day for no reason. They just need to hear their own voice.
4. If they have some infection.
5. If it is cold.
6. It it is too hot.
7. They need to be loved and cuddled, They want to feel their mothers touch and like it when they are held close and cuddled.
8. Rashes due to diaper.

Usually new born babies do cry while passing urine. It is very common.

The reason for this is the irritation the urine causes, While in the mothers womb they will be in a fluid medium, and the temperature is always constant.

But in the outside world, as they pass urine, the urine becomes cold as the temperature drops suddenly. And the cold makes your baby cry.

Another reason why babies cry while passing urine and stool is, while passing urine the bladder contracts forcefully and the sensation is new for them. Because of the uncomfortable sensation they tend to cry.

I suggest you use good quality diapers or change the diaper immediately after she passes urine.

Your baby should become quite once she has completed passing urine and once the diaper is changed.

She should stop crying when you try to calm her by taking her in your arms and talk to her.

You need to seek medical help if your baby does not stop crying. And if she refuses to feed.

Remember these points.

1. Exclusive breastfeeding till the age pf 6 months (Not even a single drop of water is required till the age of six months).
2. Keep your baby well covered all the time. Dress her in soft clothes, put a cap on the head, put gloves and socks for hands and legs. Then wrap her in a warm cloth like a shawl.
3. Check that she passes urine at least 6 to 8 times in a day and motion around two to three times.
4. Keep the mother and baby together always.
5. Mother should eat good nutritious food. There are absolutely no restriction in diet.
6. Get your baby fully immunized.
7. Consult your neonatologist if she has fever, Pus filled rashes, Umbilicus has pus or is inflamed, and immediately if she refuses to feed.
8. Babies feed more in the night and stay awake in the night. They need to be fed every three hours through day and night.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have any further queries.