3 month old having a hernia repair surgery. Scrotum turned blue. No bowel movement. Chances of hydrocele?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have a 3 month old son who is scheduled for hernia repair in the morning His scrotum turned blue for 3 hours I wrapped him up to make sure he was warm for 30 mins then give him a warm bottle and bath 2 hours later it went away. I am really worried the physician said he has a hydrocele but did not do an ultrasound to verify a henia. At his age is it safe to put him under? Would you recommend more evaluation. His bowels also havent moved in almost 3 days should I be concerned for him going under for hernia repair when his bowels haven't moved. He also has an intermittent cough no stuffy or runny nose and no other acute difficulties. He had RSV 1 and a half month ago. Full term baby with no complications
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

I can understand your concern and it seems you are a well read parent.

Yes, had I been your surgeon I would have gone for an Ultrasound scan, your history says the scrotum turned blue and he has had no bowels for three days.

There are chances it was an obstructed bowel which might have reduced en masse and the bowels yet not released.

It is safe to go for surgery, but with a proper planning.

Cough may need an extra care during the anesthesia, as at his age it would be a General Anesthesia with intubation [Probably]. So care should be taken about his oxygen saturation and he should be operated under a good antibiotic cover.

Hope I have clarified your doubts.
In case of confusion, please revert back I am available for follow-up.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.