3 month child having nasal congestion since birth. Diagnosed as rihinitis. Is it safe to use nasonex?

My almost 3 month old daughter has had nasal congestion since birth. I took her to the ENT who did a nasal endoscopy and told me that she has rihinitis. The doctor also prescribed nasonex (1 spray on each nostril for 2 weeks) but after reading the contraindications, I was too afraid to use it. Is it safe for my little baby to use nasonex? how long after I start using it will we see an improvement? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 38 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

In my personal opinion, I don't think you should administer nasonex spray to your baby who is only 3 months old. Even though the doctor who I'm sure only has good intentions at heart, has prescribed it only for 2 weeks (short term). Most of the side effects occur when this spray is taken for a prolonged period say 1- 2 years etc. However,the safety and effectiveness of nasonex is not established in children under 2 years of age.

I would suggest either homeopathy or acupressure, if there are recognized institutions or clinics in your area.

Meanwhile , keep your house clean and free from allergens. Avoid using perfumes.
Vaccuum the carpets daily. Pets might also contribute to allergies.

Keep a boiling kettle (Under parental supervision) in the room where your baby is sleeping. Do not leave the child unattended with the kettle on in the room. The humidied air might provide a little relief and relieve the blocked nose. In addition you might want to instill nasoclear saline drops or nasal spray( normal saline ) 2 drops in each nostril every 6 hours.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan