29 year male. Having lump under nipple, sore to touch and lump changes color. Any cure?

my son is 29 and has a lump under his nipple. He has no insurance . Does he need to see the doctor?he said it changes color and is bigger then it was. it looked to be the size of a nickle to me and did not look any strange color to me.he did say it was sore at times.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

I must say that the symptoms what your son reports do need to be evaluated by a physician. A thorough consultation and physical examination is necessary in this case. At some point a diagnostic evaluation may need to be performed. This may include ultrasound or possibly a mammogram.

I realize he does not have insurance but at this point we are trying to rule out anything which could be life-threatening. Breast cancer is rare in males but it does happen. It is much more common in families that have significant history of breast cancer as well so this would be important information to consider.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert