28 years old. Suffering from hyperthyroidism. Taking thyronorm 75mcg. Is it safe to conceive?

I am a 28 yrs old married female. I have having hyperthyrodism from past 6 yrs. Currently I am taking thyronorm 75mcg tablets. The Tsh level is 4 to 5 with this medicine. I am taking this quantity of medicine from past 3 yrs does it has any side effects? should I decrease the dose with time (change it to 50mcg)?..... Will there be a problem for me to conceive in the future? what precautions I shld take before I am planning my first baby?
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in. What you have is actually HYPOTHYROIDISM and not hyperthyroidism as you are stating,the two are opposites though they sound the same when you pronounce the words leading to a common confusion. Hypothyroidism is a state where your thyroid gland stops producing thyroid hormone. It is usually permanent so you may have to take the thyroid hormone permanently i.e lifelong.
If you are planning to conceive a TSH of 0.5-2.5 will be ideal. You might have to increase to 100 mcg per day. A reduction in the dose should not be done without consulting your physician. Please consult your endocrinologist regarding this. If the TSH is in the range I have suggested there will be no problems for conception due to hypothyroidism.
During pregnancy you need to increase the pre pregnancy doses by approximately 30% and monitor the TSH monthly for the initial months. For this you may need the assistance of your endocrinologist. After the 5th month, the monitoring needs be done only once more, especially if the dose has been stable for a month or so.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Follow-up: 28 years old. Suffering from hyperthyroidism. Taking thyronorm 75mcg. Is it safe to conceive? 14 hours later
Thanks for answering my question doctor. Just one more doubts, do I need to do for Thyroid antibodies test? will it effect the medication I am taking. or do u prescribe any other test.
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 7 hours later
It's worthwhile getting an AntiTPO or anti TG done.The tests merely confirm that what you have is autoimmune hypothyroidism and need be done once in a lifetime.IF it is already done there is no need to repeat it