28 weeks pregnant. What is the average weight of a newborn child?

May 2013

I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with my second child, and our unborn baby boy currently weighs 1.2 kgs as per my obstetrician here in Singapore who feels that our son is slightly small. While his growth seems fine, he seems to be healthy, active & all my scans & reports are normal - the weight of my unborn son is now beginning to worry me. My older child is a girl whose birth weight was 2.66 kgs & was a normal delivery.

What is the average weight of a newborn Indian child? (I am wondering if that makes a difference as apparently the average weight of a Singaporean child is around 3.1 - 3.2kgs)

Should I be worried about the weight of my unborn son? Is there anything I can do to increase the birth weight? While I haven't been able to eat as much as my first pregnancy I am trying my best to maintain a balanced vegetarian diet & taking all my supplements & milk powder.

My husband and I are both of light frames - so we are not expecting a very large baby, but I am keen to ensure that he is a good weight.

Also - is it safe for me to be taking fish oil supplements? I have attached a photo of the supplement I am currently taking.

Please advise.

Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to many studies the average weight of the fetus at 28 weeks is around 1.1kg.
References: WWW.WWWW.WW ,
WWW.WWWW.WW So according to this your fetal weight is within normal limits.
And as all other parameters are also normal no need to worry.

The average Indian baby weight is 2.8kg. And the normal range is 2.5kg to 3.5kg.
The weight of the baby depends on many factors like stature of the parents, nutritional status of the mother, birth order of the baby, associated medical conditions etc.
According to the present weight your fetus can achieve the normal weight at term.

You can divide your food into smaller quantities and take more frequently which can help in maintaining the adequate intake. Continue the supplements.

Fish oil supplements with omega-3 fatty acids are good for the immune system of the baby and the mother. So you can continue taking them.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.