26 years old. What should I do to reduce belly fat?

Hi.. I am 26 yrs old and my weight is 46kg. I have lil bulging belly despite of slim body structure. I wanted to know about 'reducing belly fats'. I tried having only fruits, oats and high fiber food but it only reduces my weight rather than tummy.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Let us take some time to first understand the possible causes for your abdominal bloating/ distension (bulging belly). As this is a symptom of many different conditions, it is best to first rule out a cause. Once the cause is found, treating/reducing it would be much easier. Please be patient. You have not mentioned details of your height. Please do so, as this would help us in calculating your BMI (body mass index).

A few causes can be:
-diarrhea or constipation, abdominal pain?)
-Parasitic infections (requires a stool analysis)
-Malabsorption diseases (coeliac disease, tropical sprue, etc.)
-Malnutrition (as you seem to have a low body weight, we need to rule this out)
-Kidney disorders (do you experience any urinary difficulties, or history of urinary or kidney problems?)
-Lactose intolerance
-Alcohol consumption

If you experience any other symptoms or have a medical history, it would certainly help if you provided me with that information.

If this is a problem not being associated with any underlying condition, you could:
-Mild exercises (jogging, walking, sit-ups, etc.)
-Avoid alcohol
-Lukewarm water with lemon and a drop of honey three times a day
-Green tea
-Food high on anti-oxidants

Please write back to me with any further clarifications and also with a kind response to my queries, we shall surely find a solution to your problem.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: 26 years old. What should I do to reduce belly fat? 44 hours later

My Height is 5.5'. and I do not face any of the mentioned problems. And let me tell you that, my weight is in the range of 40-46 since 4-5 years and no such drastic change in it. But I feel, consumption of Pizza / Cheese is the culprit.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later

Although the average weight for a female of 5' 5'' is 51-62 kg in international standards, if you are healthy, it should not be a concern.

Although completely refraining from a fatty diet like pizza, cheese, fried food, etc; is not advised, you could follow up a fatty meal with a glass of lukewarm water containing half a lemon (squeezed) and honey (a drop, if available). The lemon will prevent in complete absorption of the food and the honey will speed up the digestion process, thus pushing the food out of the system quicker.

Mild exercises like walking/brisk walking and the inclusion of XXXXXXX tea to your daily diet will surely prove to be helpful, but gradually.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: 26 years old. What should I do to reduce belly fat? 1 hour later
Thank u...
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
You are most welcome XXXXXXX.

Best wishes.