26 weeks pregnant, TB exposure, done IgM, IgG, IgA, hemogram blood test. Infected?

Hi. I am 26 weeks pregnant and was recently exposed to a Tb infected person ( driver) for 2 months. I have no symptoms ( except pain & skin inflamation below bust-line which my Gynae thinks can be gas or muscle pull or weight of incresing size). However, as precaution i was asked to do the IgM, IgG, IgA and haemogram blood test. As per lab report, my IgM resul is 'Postive' with a value of 1.16; IgG result is 'Equivocal' at 1.90 U/ml ( range 1.25-2.25) & IgA is 'Borderline' at 230 U/ml (range 201-350). haematology result looks within parameters, except ESR which is 41 mm1st Hr ( range 0-20) and report says reactive Lymphocytes present. WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN? Pls advice. do i also have to do an abdomen ultrasound becos i believe X-rays r not possible in my condition? what are the chances of me being infected and how does that affect my pregnancy?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

First, mere exposure to a person suffering from tuberculosis doesn’t mean that one gets tuberculosis although the risk is slightly high compared to the general population.

Second and important, you don’t have any fever or loss of appetite which are cardinal features of tuberculosis of any organ of the body. The absence of these goes strongly against tuberculosis.

Third, the rise in the ESR doesn’t necessarily mean an infection. A drop in hemoglobin can also produce a rise in the ESR. Each 1 gm drop in hemoglobin from the normal value can produce a rise in ESR by 10 mm. As anemia is quite common during pregnancy, the rise in ESR is on the expected lines.

Fourth, the mere positivity of the antibodies of tuberculosis doesn’t mean that one is suffering from tuberculosis. You need to watch out for any evening rise in temperature and decreased appetite and report to your physician if you have them.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.