2.5 years old having loss of appetite and not brushing teeth. Suggest what to do

My daughter is 2.5 years old, she weighs 11.16 kgs,we are pure vegetarians.Also we are working parents and she is with the maid all day long.Her routine is she gets up at 7.45 a.m- from the time the day starts we have to force her for everything- she does not want to brush her teeth then we give her kidicare (5 ml),( currently she has throat infection and cough ) so ascoril(4.5 ml) and indian ghasara( i.e 2 badams,harde, hardar, jaifal, tulsi ,sitopaladi, jethimadh and himalaya bonisan) then bath at around 9.30 am ,she takes so long for brushin and medicines.then at 10am if she has the mood then she will eat breakfast , that also one has to run behind her- either poha, sheera,tomato omlette(small- 1 piece)- which goes on till 11 then she goes to school at 11.20am and at around 12.30 she has 3 rotis with sabji ( forcibly since the teacher is around, but in case at home does not eat or otherwise have to make her eat with lot of force. Then comes home at 2pm and sleeps then around 4pm we give her milk ,which she just doesnt have( not sure what to do?), so then give her an XXXXXXX then she goes to garden at 5.30 pm and at around 8.15 p.m has her dinner. 2rotis and sabji or 1 idli or 2- 3thepla or rice (small bowl) again if she is in modd , otherwise she goes to sleep without eating. i am fed up of forcing her to eat and drink milk , she just doesnt feel hungry and wants to eat ever ? not sure what to do.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 5 hours later

I am sorry to hear the problem. But please do not worry she is going through a phase we call negativism where the child resist domination. And the commonest behaviour problem is with food.

I am giving an advice; try that.
- In the morning give her breakfast. Five her sufficient time to consume. If she doesn't eat do not force her.
- Do not shout at her simply take the food away and make sure she don't have anything to eat before dinner.
- Do the same thing at dinner same thing at supper.

Just try this for one day. Hunger will compell her to eat.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.
I wish your daughter's speedy recovery.

Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: 2.5 years old having loss of appetite and not brushing teeth. Suggest what to do 2 days later
Dear Doctor
Thanks for your quick reply , actually what happens , we want her to complete a particular quantity- eg a small bowl of poha for breakfast , or 2-3 chappatis and sabji fpr lunch , or in the evenin a glass milk and fruit and then again in the evenin dinner , now for each meal she takes an hour or even more , she just keeps the food in her mouth and doesnt chew and goes from one room to another and since we want her to eat by hook or by crook we also run behind her,so not sure when to take away the food as there are times when she does not have breakfast or lunch and just sleeps in the afternoon, post which after gettin up also she does not want have milk , just wanted to know what is the alternative for milk as she hates milk.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later
Your child can be offered Soya milk, Rice milk, Goat milk instead of Cows milk.
One thing that you must take care of is that the milk is fortified with Vit D. The vitamin D is extremely necessary to prevent rickets.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: 2.5 years old having loss of appetite and not brushing teeth. Suggest what to do 20 hours later
Hi Doctor thanks for your advice of taking away the plate , as of now i just tried yday for dinner and told her in case u dont eat you want get anything , you will have to she asked for wafers ,i said nothing ,then finally she started eating her dinner.
But 2 more problems
1. she does not sit in one place and eat
2. She has a bad cold since more than 2 weeks now and first we gave her cherikof for a week and then now ascoril(4.5 ml) thrice a day , however it is still not settled ,pls suggest what can be done. as she keeps coughin throughout the night and during the day too
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
I am pleased to hear your daughter started eating. So long she is eating that is important.We should not be too strict about the other small issues. If she changes her place and eats, that is Okay.
Try taking to her nicely to sit and eat in one place.
As regards to her other problem, I strongly advise you to take her to your doctor to examine her clinically and if necessary to give her appropriate medication like antibiotics.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee