25 weeks pregnant. Use Roundups. Is there a possibility of harmful effects or birth defects?

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and used roundup while wearing shorts and flip flops. I didn't wash it off until 2 hours later. I've read horrible effects on the unborn baby if using roundup. Is there a chance of birth defects?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Chemicals present in the Roundups can reach blood through skin and lungs, thus to Fetus through placenta. Fetus requires proteins in the form of amino acids for growth. Chemicals present in the Roundups can inhibit synthesis of amino acids in the body. These chemicals are harmful for placental, umbilical cord and embryonic/fetal cells. Thus these chemicals are definitely in a position to cause birth defects.

Now it depends upon amount of exposure to these chemicals, which can decide the chances of birth defects.

As it is not easy to find out amount of absorption, you should consult a Fetologist in this regard.

Hope, I have replied your query. If you have further query, feel free to ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer and rate it as per your satisfaction.

With good wishes,