25 weeks pregnant. Taking thyronorm 50. Will this have any side effects on foetus?

I am a 25 weeks pregnancy lady and using the following tablet thyronorm 50 Mg for the last two weeks in empty stomach, i would like to know about the tablet create any side effects to my baby,because am afraid to using thyronorm tablet,please tell me about the tablet full details for my consideration.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Thyronorm contains synthetic thyroid hormone (thyroxine).

It is used in cases of hypothyroidism (decreased thyroid function). Thyroid hormone need increases in pregnancy. If you are already a hypothyroid, you need to continue and increase the dose of your thyronorm as per your TSH levels in blood.

There is NO HARM to you or your baby by using thyronorm in pregnancy.

The harm is when you stop using thyronorm. This is because uncontrolled hypothyroidism can result in miscarriage, premature delivery, still birth, intrauterine death (death of baby inside), cretinism (mental retardation) in baby.
Complications in delivery like increased bleeding can also occur.

So please continue this medication in the dose as advised by your doctor. It will not harm you or your baby.

In case your queries remain, do revert back.