24 year old with palpitations and chest pain. Alcohol and smoking addiction. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been experiencing heart palpitation since last 2 years..but these days it has increased too much and today i am having some pain in my chest ......I am male, 24 yrs ...just passed out of college ..doing job in Bangalore , India, I do smoking and drinking.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Palpitations at your age with mild chest pain can be due to many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one to find out the cause.
1.Electrolyte imbalance-Abnormal levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium can cause palpitations. A simple blood test will rule out these.
2.Hyperthyroidism- Raised levels of thyroid hormone is a common cause of palpitations.
3.Excessive intake of caffeine, tobacco and alcohol can cause palpitations. Restrict their use as much as possible.
4.Illicit drugs use and other medicines might cause palpitation.
5. Cardiac causes of palpitation need to be ruled out after ECG and other necessary tests.
6. Avoid stress and anxiety. Practice yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises and relaxation exercises.
You need to rule out all these causes with the help of simple blood tests under the guidance of your physician.
Treatment will be according to the cause.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: 24 year old with palpitations and chest pain. Alcohol and smoking addiction. Advice? 8 hours later
Sir, thanks for your reply.

Since I am having a very mild discontinuous pain in my chest (on left side) and in Back (just opposite to left front). so Should I take it seriously or it is usual in case of palpitation. I am also have some gastric problem so is this pain is because of gas.

Should I act immediately and consult a doctor or it is case of not to worry?

thanks again
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the chest and back could be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux due to stress and anxiety. It may or may not be associated with palpitation.
Since you are having palpitation for many days so it is best to consult a physician at your earliest convenience to get yourself investigated adequately.
Do not worry. It is not likely to be an immediate emergency.
Hope my answer is helpful.