24 year old having hot and cold flushes, night sweats, headaches, fever and nausea. Are these symptoms of flu?

Question
I am a 24 year old female and I have been having problems for the last three days. I am having excessive hot and cold flashes, along with excessive night sweats. I am also having occasional headaches, fever (on and off daily), and nausea. Is this something I should be worried about, or is it some kind of flu that will pass in a couple more days?
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing in.

Night sweats, hot and cold flashes can be due to many causes.

I would like to know if you are any medications.

Some medications cause hot flashes and night sweats.

Since it's associated with on and off fever I’m suspecting a hidden infection.

Kindly visit your physician and get a septic screening done to look for any infection.

I would also like to know if you have lost your weight in recent past significantly.

Kindly write back to me.

Thank you.     

Follow-up: 24 year old having hot and cold flushes, night sweats, headaches, fever and nausea. Are these symptoms of flu? 1 hour later
I am not on any medications, and I have not lost weight in the past months. I weigh about 135 and I am 5'5. The night sweat we so bad last night that I had to change my clothes and my sheets in the middle of the night because they were soaked.

Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

That rules out hidden malignancy of blood like Lymphoma.

I think it’s due to underlying infection. It may be a viral flu or it can be bacterial infection.

It’s important to start antibiotics as soon as possible.

Kindly visit your physician and get yourself examined to localize the infection. Also get a blood routine examination done.

Thank you.