24 weeks pregnant with twins. Smoked weed. How long does this stay in the babies system?

im 24 weeks pregnant with twins and i caved and smoked weed yesterday, how long does thc stay in the babies system for?
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

THC has a long half-life and is detectable for at least a week in your system. Similarly, it is the same for the fetuses. The most common ways that newborns are tested (after birth) is either urine or their stool. Neither test will pick up drug use in the second trimester (this is where you are). By the time you deliver, assuming it is after 37 weeks, it will likely not be detectable.

Just some information, though, about marijuana in pregnancy. Although it does not increase the risk of birth defects, its use during pregnancy is linked to:

1. Learning deficits
2. Hyperactivity
3. Depressive symptoms
4. Substance use disorders

So it would be best to stop using altogether during pregnancy. If you have just used this once, it almost certainly has not caused any detectable harm, but you must not do this again for the health and well being of your child!

I am just saying it like it is! I hope this helps and good luck. Be sure to leave feedback!
Follow-up: 24 weeks pregnant with twins. Smoked weed. How long does this stay in the babies system? 16 hours later
thank you so much, that helps out a lot, i was stressing so bad about that. it was my first time using it durring pregnancy and i just have had a verry stressful week.

Listen, that is okay. It sounds like you are on the right track! Don't be afraid to express your concerns to your OB/GYN. Just be truthful and ask for help if you find yourself in the same situation again!

Please take a moment to leave feedback - it would be much appreciated.