24 weeks pregnant. Why am I getting dark and yellow urine even after drinking plenty of water?

I am 24 weeks pregnant and drinking plenty of water and I pee ALL THE TIME, but my urine is still dark and yellow. Why is this?I have also had a lot of Mucus like discharge. Like when you blow your nose. Sometimes its a little bit and once a day it will be a big stringy blob.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

You must be drinking plenty water but the the intake is considered adequate only if you are having atleast 8 glasses per day. Dehydration is most common cause of dark yellow urine which is due to inadequate water intake.

Certain foods can also lead to dark yellow urine. For example,asparagus, beet root and carrots can impart a dark yellow color to urine.
Similar dark yellow coloration of urine can also result from the presence of high level of B complex vitamins and Vitamin C which are present in the multivitamins you might be taking for pregnancy.

Other than medications and foods that mainly cause temporary darkness of urine, persistent abnormal coloration of urine can be attributed to some diseases related to liver, kidney and urinary bladder.

One of the most common diseases that can cause dark yellow urine is jaundice due to liver diseases.

Hematuria (blood in urine) can give a red or dark yellow tinge to urine, due to the presence of red blood cells. Hematuria can be caused by kidney stones as well as infection of the urinary bladder.
Infections of the urinary tract present with dark urine with a strong and offensive odor along with tendency to urinate frequently and a burning sensation while urinating. Pain during urination or in the lower abdomen can also be seen. Fever can also be present.

Before coming to any conclusion regarding the changes in urine coloration, it is very important to pay attention to the food and fluid intake. This is because temporary abnormal coloration of urine is most commonly caused by the consumption of certain foods and dehydration.

Only when these two causes have been ruled out then other serious one can be kept as a possibility. Several tests and examinations like blood test, liver function test, examination of urine sample, urinalysis as well as ultrasound of both kidneys and urinary bladder can be required, to identify the specific dark yellow urine causes. The results of these diagnostic tests would in turn determine the course of treatment for the dark yellow urine.

Coming to your second query of mucous discharge from the nose.

Occasional mucous discharge from the nose and stuffy nose is normal. It occurs commonly in pregnancy without any allergy or associated viral infection like common cold.
Estrogen is high in pregnancy which can contribute to swelling in the mucous membranes lining the nose and even cause you to make more mucus. The amount of blood in your body increases during pregnancy which may cause swelling in the tiny blood vessels in the lining of your nose and congestion in the surrounding tissue. Other hormones may also play a role.
If your stuffy nose is accompanied by sneezing, coughing, a sore throat, mild aches and pain or a fever, you probably do have a cold or another infection.
On the other hand, if you have a stuffy or runny nose with watery mucus, along with sneezing and itchy eyes, nose, throat, or ears, then allergies are a likely cause.

Blocked nose in pregnancy can be well taken care of by steam inhalation. Avoid antihistaminics and oral decongestants.
If needed local nasal decongestant drops and buffered nasal sprays can be used.
Avoid smoking if you are into this habit.

I hope I have answered your queries.

Follow-up: 24 weeks pregnant. Why am I getting dark and yellow urine even after drinking plenty of water? 6 hours later
Thanks for the info on urine... As for the mucus discharge, it's not coming from my nose. It looks like snot, but it's coming from my vagina. It is clearish with a very snotty like appearance. Sometimes it will be slightly yellow tinted and it doesn't really have an odor.
Hello dear.

Thanks for writing back.
Sorry for the confusion.

In pregnancy between week 14 to week 28, vaginal discharge is similar to what is experienced right before a menstrual cycle. It can be much heavier and released more often than before a period. The discharge is usually white with the consistency of an egg white. This is a mucous discharge and is a mixture of vaginal secretions, cervical secretions, old vaginal wall cells and natural bacterial flora present in the vaginal area. This mucus discharge during pregnancy is generally odorless and may have a whitish tinge. Increased production of estrogen hormone along with increased blood flow to the lower abdomen and vaginal area results in increased vaginal mucous discharge during pregnancy.

I suggest you to apply a pad and check for the appropriate color, amount, and consistency of the discharge. If it has any of the following features then you should get an XXXXXXX examination by a gynecologist for appropriate treatment.
Presence of foul smell, blood staining, itching in vaginal area, redness and pain abdomen indicate a vaginal infection. Also if your discharge is thick curdy white or greenish or yellow, it should be taken care of as it might be an indicator of infection.

If none of these are present and its simply slight mucus discharge then you need not worry.