23 years old. Noticed hair below chin. What should I do?

I am a femaile age 23.I have got many hair below my chin recently.I didnt get my mentural cycle last month.what should i do
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 32 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Since you have irregular cycles with problem of pimples, unwanted facial and body hair, I presume you are having POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME (PCOS).

This is a condition where cycles get irregular. They are delayed and once you have there is generally heavy bleeding. All this happens because you have hormonal imbalance in this condition.
The other problem you can have is tendency of weight gain.

If you have all these problems, I suggest you to a visit a gynecologist. A proper physical examination followed by certain tests are required to make a diagnosis.
Hormone blood tests (LH, FSH, PROLACTIN, TESTOSTERONE) along with ultrasound abdomen may be required.
A thyroid function blood test is also needed to rule out thyroid disorders which can also present with menstrual problems.

I would also mention that if you are sexually active, then the first thing you need to rule out is pregnancy if you have missed your period. You can do a home urine pregnancy test for the same.

DO NOT worry.
PCOS is very common and is completely curable.

Kindly revert back if you have further queries.