23 month baby taking clenil modulite 50. Started having fits. Is this due to medicine? Concerned

Hi there,

My 23 month son takes Clenil Modulite 50, two puffs twice a day, but since he started this medication he started having fits rage and it is very difficult to calm him down. He has these during the night as well. He gets irritated very easily and clinches his fits, doesn't want to be touched but doesn't want you to leave either. His sleep patterns have been really disrupted and his behaviour a lot worst. We naver used to be like this. Is this normal? could it be the medication? I'm really concerned!
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Yes, the Clenil Modulite inhaler (Beclometasone dipropionate) rarely but does cause such symptoms in some children.

I suggest you to take him to his treating doctor for an alternative medication.Do not stop the medication suddenly .Since it is a steroid medication , it has to be tapered and stopped.

Just to enlighten you about the side effect profile of the above drug I have shared the below link which mentions the list of side-effects encountered.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.