23 days baby is having cold and cough, not able to sleep well. Giving nasoclear. Any alternate medication?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi ,
My 23 days old baby is having cold and cough and not able to sleep well in night. We gave him nasoclear. not sure if we can give him any other medication to give relief?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later

The current symptoms which your baby has are probably due to viral infection or allergic cause. It is unlikely to be due to bacterial infection.

There is no specific medicine for viral cold. ONLY if the cold does not settle in 3-5 days time and if fever is high, ANTIBIOTICS are needed. Currently please consult your doctor who will prescribe you decongestants and anti-histamines according to your baby's weight. Antibiotic treatment may be needed if symptoms persist or she develops high grade fever.

Continue with nasoclear drops 4 to 5 times daily.

Hope I cleared your doubts. Let me know if you need more help.

I wish your baby speedy recovery.

Dr Arun