22 years old. Is it possible to increase the length of hands and limbs with exercise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

i just wanted to know is it possible to increase the length of the limbs(hands and legs) by just 2 cms after a heavy workout like boxing for hands and kick boxing for legs.

Generally people say in a baseball game a pitcher's throwing arm is 2 inches more than his other arm because of extensive exercise. i just want to know is that true?

Is it scientifically possible?
can increase in muscles in my hand make my hand longer by atleast 2 cms?

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Increasing the length of your long bones of hands and legs at the age of 22 is quite a challenging task. After you attain puberty, the long bones of the body stop growing further as their growing ends fuse with the bone. These bones then attain a permanent size.
The vigorous exercise can cause an increase in the muscle mass only but the muscle mass will not add to the length of the limbs.
Regular yoga practice is known to help in improvement of the posture and ease tension in the body which, in turn, can help make a person feel taller. Several yoga positions can help to maximize these effects.
Regular exercise increases the release of growth hormone which can increase the height if the growing ends of the bones are not fused. But the growing ends fuse completely by 20-22 years of age.
Baseball pitcher's arm may be longer if he has been practicing it since childhood.
The best that can be advised to improve your height is to have adequate diet with a slightly increased amount of proteins (milk, eggs, poultry, meat, soyabean, pulses etc) and adequate vitamins and minerals. It is also essential to compensate this with adequate physical work out and stretching exercises (you could join a gym/ yoga classes).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: 22 years old. Is it possible to increase the length of hands and limbs with exercise? 4 hours later
you mean to say it is impossible to increase length of the hands after puberty?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Scientifically, length of arms cannot increase with exercise after the long bones have fused.
Yoga can only increase the vertebral height mildly by decreasing the muscle spasm thus adding 1or 2cms to your height.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.