22 years old. How can I increase my weight?

Hi doctor my name is XXXXXXX and my age is 22 , height is 5.5, weight is 50. I want to increase my weight. could you please suggest me how can i increase my weight?
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

Important points of your query:
•     22 year old male
•     Concern related to low weight
•     Desire to increase weight

The first question in your case is *what should be ideal weight for you?*

To know about ideal weight of person we use an index called BODY MASS INDEX (BMI).
BMI is calculated with the simple formula: BMI= weight in kg/height in metre²

According to BMI we can categorise people in three categories:
•     Underweight from 16.0 to 18.5
•     Normal from 18.5 to 25
•     Overweight from 25 to 30
•     Obese from 30 onward

From above formula your BMI is= 55/(1.65)²=20.20
As your BMI is 20.20, you fall in normal category. So, there is no need to worry much for weight.

Weight is determined by many factors like: bone weight, metabolic rate and genetic reasons. Because of that many people who eat even more have low weight. However sometime it become necessary to increase weight to improve look.

Following steps will be helpful to reduce weight:
•     Do not worry much about weight. Target only 5-6 kg weight increment.

•     Take healthy diet. Incorporate diet with fat, meat, eggs, rice and Dal. Never miss your food.

•     It is better to maintain diet chart by simply daily food intake items in diary. Also calculate your calorie intake (take help of net to calculate calorie of individual food article) from that diary and take around 3000 k cal per day.

•     Eat at least 2 banana and drink 1 glass of milk daily.

•     Do not try to increase weight very fast as it is harmful to health.

•     Exercise plan: Focus on muscle building. Muscles look good on fat free body.

•     Drugs are helpful but personally I do not favoured them because of side effects and interaction with other body functions.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.