22 month old has not started talking much only few words. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My son is 22 month now but not stated talking much. He talks very few words and mostly baby language.. He is active and good in all other activities. He can show all body parts and playing with blocks nicely.Can you please tell me if I need to concern about his late talking and should consult a doctor.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 54 minutes later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Kids at 22 months are expected to speak few words . Most of them do so in baby language which is normal.
If he is able to understand what you speak and indicate his needs by words or actions like favourite food etc, do not worry.
There are many reasons for delayed speech. Most common is lack of stimulus. Someone needs to sit with him and talk constantly and encourage him to speak . You can use flash cards, but avoid mobiles and electronics like tv which is to be avoided at this age.
Give him few more months, try putting him in play school so that he gets to interact more.
Dr Arun