21 year old having elevated heart rate without strenuous activity. Is it dangerous?

I have been to the doctor 3 times in the last month and each time my heart rate was 98 bpm. I then began taking it myself every now and then and it ranged from 97-116 bpm. This was not taken during any strenuous activity. Sometimes during practice when running i can feel my heart beating really fast. I'm 21, 5'7 and 136lbs. I'm pretty in shape because I'm a cheerleader. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later

I would like to know more in order to suggest you better.

1. Why did you go to the doctor in the first place? Was it regarding the heart issue itself? Because according to your query, I am inferring that it was an incidental finding.
2. Have you ever felt your heart beating when at rest? Is it uncomfortable and associated with sweating and chest pain?
3. In your visit to the doctors, did they order for some tests like echo, ECG (Electrocardiogram), blood tests? If yes, then could you please attach or type the reports on the right side of query page.
4. Do you have any family history of hypothyroid disorder?

I would like to know the answers to these questions to come to a better interpretation of the problem.

I am awaiting your reply.

Regards .
Follow-up: 21 year old having elevated heart rate without strenuous activity. Is it dangerous? 37 minutes later
I initially went to the doctor for a stomach virus that was causing me to be nauseous random times. I then went again for an ingrown toe nail and it was still 98. I have felt my heart beating while at rest a couple times. I have not had any chest pain or sweating. They did not order anything for it. I said something to the doctor about it and she just basically said oh well.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 30 minutes later

Thanks for replying

I would like add here that heart rate of 60-100 range is normal so 98 comes within that range. The every day conditions that increase heart rate are
1. Pain
2. Fever
3. Anxiety/Fear
4. Exercises
5. Coffee, Tea, Cigarettes

But since you are telling us that you have felt your heart beat a couple of times at rest and it was 116 and also you have felt your heart beating I would recommend you to approach a cardiologist and get at least these basic work up done

1. ECG
3.Thyroid profile
4. Complete Blood count

Increased heart rate does not always mean that there is a problem with the heart or the rhythm, it could be that there is another factor which is causing the increased heart rate.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you good health