21 month old had a red balloon like bleeding mass in his anus along with diahrea in his diaper. What could it be ?

Upon waking, my 21 month old son had a red balloon like mass (about .5 inches in diameter) in his anus this morning along with diahrea in his diaper. The mass was weeping blood. I thought it was a hemorrhoid. I opened the diaper 15 minutes later to check on the mass, and it was free/detached. The diaper itself had a small amount of bright red blood. I saved the mass to show his pediatrician. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Based on the description you provided, I suspect the mass to be a anal or more likely a rectal polyp.

Its very common for such a polyp to get detached due to compression over its pedicle causing lack of blood supply.There will be bleeding but not heavy to cause any serious problem in the kid.

Congenital Haemorrhoid can also present this way but its occurrence is rare.A detailed inspection of the mass would be needed for it be considered a differential diagnosis.

A Histopathological microscopic examination of the mass will confirm the diagnosis and based on the diagnosis the child has to be evaluated for underlying disease which presents with such anomalies.

Take him to the paediatrician and share with me his views.We shall have a discussion based on his findings and opinion.

Anticipating your response.