20th week scan revealed that baby has short limbs. Chances of dwarfism?

20th week scan revealed that my baby has short limbs. Tibia is 20mm , Fibula 22mm , Humerus 23 mm , radius 20mm, Ulna 21 mm

the report notes that XXXXXXX high resist flow is seen in both the uterine arteries. The umbilical artery and the MCA shows normal pattern"

XXXXXXX all the long bones are less than 5th percentile"
we are anxious.
what are the chances that the baby has dwarfism
just to clarify --this is about my pregnancy--the question is about the foetus scan (20th week)
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of dwarfism are high; follow up is needed.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your anxiety and the need of the hour.

Length of femur is important for the diagnosis of short long bones. Please furnish the figures if it was measured. Though familial short limbs and IUGR may be considered as causes of short long bones, there are more important skeletal deformities and dyplasias which are sometimes lethal that should be given first priority during the diagnosis. The spine, facial bones, skull, rib cage and thorax should be observed. Shape of the long bones should be observed. Follow up sonograms should be taken and other tests for detecting genetic defects may also be done.

Resistance in the uterine arteries may indicate a small for dates baby, impending PIH or the possibility of preterm delivery. Prophylactic therapy given before 20 weeks is beneficial.

Follow up is essential. Please contact a specialist in high risk pregnancy care to receive further attention.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.