20 year old male has soft voice. Blood test done. How to improve my voice quality?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am a guy and do not have deep male voice.My age is 20 and may be it will still take some time for my voice to mature.Can you let me know how i can make my voice sound more masculine.I checked up my larynx box with a ENT doctor and vocal chords are good.Doctor expressed the doubt that may be my vocal chords are tense and movements/vibrations in vocal chords are not as expected.I checked up with a family physician and did a blood test and my testosterone in blood is also good.Do you think there is a problem with endocrines ?If so,can you advise me the medicines i need to take to solve this problem ?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You seem to have Puberphonia which is the persistence of an adolescent voice into adulthood.

2. Since your testosterone levels are within normal limits, it is unlikely to be hormonal in origin. Also further changes after 20 years are rare.

3. The most common cause is psychogenic, stress related and non fusion of the thyroid lamellae.

4. Treatment options are:
a. Speech Therapy: Training for lowering of the voice box and using lower pitch voice.
b. Laryngeal Manipulation: May be tried if Speech therapy fails.
c. Phonosurgery: If the above measures fail. An Isshiki Type III Laryngoplasty to shorten the vocal cord length and reduce the tension.

5. You may follow up during your treatment with the progress.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: 20 year old male has soft voice. Blood test done. How to improve my voice quality? 15 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
Are there any medicines to cure this condition "Puberphonia" of mine apart from the treatment options you have suggested ? Please let me know.I will consider options if they are no medicines to address this problem.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is no specific medication for puberphonia.

2. You should get a Videostroboscopy done before commencing treatment as explained above.

Regards.