20 year old is suffering from obsessive. Get angry very soon. Which specialist should I contact?

Psychiatrist
Question
My 20-year old son is obsessed with Hinduism (we are Hindu by religion). He always talks about the epics and his favorite gods, posts numerous pictures of his gods in FB, surfs internet to find more on them. He had similar obsession with Rock music at the age of 15 - 18 and even before that he was obsessed with collecting pens at the age of 6 - 8. One obsession goes away and the other comes in. He gets angry when confronted on his faith. Which doctor should I see?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

If the diagnosis of OCD is true, then OCD is known for such change in symptomatology.

However as the age is 20 years, we need to be careful about the diagnosis

Psychiatrist consultation would help you definitely

I am available for further clarifications

Wish your son a good health

Follow-up: 20 year old is suffering from obsessive. Get angry very soon. Which specialist should I contact? 10 hours later
I made him taking an online OCD test and he came out to be normal with a score of 7. However, the questions in the test were more towards washing hands etc. that he does not have a problem with. Should I then consult a doctor who treats OCD?

What kind of specialization should I look for - Clinical Psychologist or Addiction Specialist or OCD or Personality Disorder or Psychiatrist Child and Adolescent or Psychiatrist General? I am confused with so many choices with specializations.

Also, can you please clarify what you mean by "at the age of 20 years we need to be careful about diagnosis"?

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
I do appreciate your effort in finding a solution

I would suggest first to seek consultation from a general adult psychiatrist who can reasonably diagnose OCD, or any other issues in the case, if any. And then he will make a plan of management and will let you know.

Meaning thereby, such symptoms can also be normal to adolescence, if transient; or it can be a part of personality disorder etc. Hence in such age diagnosis need to be established after detailed evaluation by a specialist i.e general adult psychiatrist in your case.

Wish your son a health and happiness