20 weeks pregnant.Ultrasound showed renal pelvis mildly dilated. What are the complications?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My wife is 20 weeks pregnant and at our last ultrasound doctor said both the renal pelvis are mildly dilated (3mm - 5mm). Amniotic fluid severely reduced (AFI: 5cms), and also Foetal movements are reduced. My wife's age is 28 years and this is her first pregnancy. Doctor has prescribed one week complete rest and arginine sachets to be taken twice a day. I wanted to know what are the issues and if the baby will start growing again.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

renal pelvis dilatation of fetus can be seen in some second trimester ultrasounds usually as incidental finding,
3 to 5mm dilatation is mild usually but as it is associated with oligohydromnios with like obstruction in the renal tract or reflux of urine,
usually these two conditions, if mild are treatable after birth of the baby and rarely need surgery,
rarely they can indicate be serious problem of urinary tract and down syndrome etc,
so let your wife continue to take arginine sachets, rest, plenty of oral fluids etc and after one week let her take repeat ultrasound which will possibly show improvement in amniotic fluid and condition of the baby, if needed with your doctor's suggestion you can go for amniocentesis and high resolution ultrasound as additional tests which can detect any associated problems.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 20 weeks pregnant.Ultrasound showed renal pelvis mildly dilated. What are the complications? 4 hours later
Hi, Thanks for the reply

I will follow up on htis after the next ultrasound with my queries. As of now my wife is taking complete rest and taking lot of water and jiuce with the prescribed medicies. I will update on the results.

Thanks
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 minutes later
hi XXXXXX,

I will be available to answer your follow up queries, let your wife continue the treatment.

Wishing Good Health to your wife, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 20 weeks pregnant.Ultrasound showed renal pelvis mildly dilated. What are the complications? 43 hours later
Hi Sree Gouri,

I have uploaded the ultrasound reports that were done last week (11-Aug-2012, 21 week pregnancy). Could you please check it once. She will be also going for one more ultrasound on 18-Aug-2012 after taking the prescribed medicines.

I have also book for a high resolution ultrasound and appintment with a XXXXXXX consultant on21-Aug-2012 for second openion. I will provide the updates.

Thanks
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
HI,

according to the scan reports the prominent findings are,
-there is difference of 3 weeks in between the gestational age by lmp and ultrasound (in case of correct date of lmp), in second trimester scan there could be around 1 week difference between the gestational ages but three weeks difference definitely indicate some amount of intra uterine growth retardation of the baby.
but as the heart rate of the baby is good and as there is no placental insufficiency there is possibility that baby may catchup the growth.
-3 to 5mm dilatation of renal pelvis is mild but as it is associated with severe oligohydromnios, that may indicate some underlying pathology in renal system as I told previously.
baby movements are reduced as there is no sufficient space to move because of less liquor.
as at present nothing can be done for renal pelvis dilatation practically, so the treatment option is treating the oligohydromnios, that is what your doctor is doing, let your wife continue the treatment and hope for the best.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.