20 weeks pregnant. Diagnosed for less amniotoc fluis or oligohydromnious. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have been diognosed for less Amniotoc Fluis(Oligohydromnious) . AFI LEVEL IS -- 5. pREGNANCY IS OF 20 WEEKS. Please suggest treatment
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 46 minutes later

Treatment of oligohydromnios depends on the cause which is responsible for it.
Oligohydrominios in the first two trimesters can be associated with some congenital anomalies or structural abnormalities.
Usually prognosis is somewhat poor in early onset oligohydromnios.
If the fetal condition is good and there are no any anomalies etc, you can try measures like:
Better to get hospitalized till the AFI improves.
Take plenty of oral fluids, around 3-4lit of water per day.
Take enough rest, sleep preferably in left lateral position.
Drink L-arginine sachets mixed with water, which will possibly increase the fluid volume.
Intravenous infusion of fluids and amino acid solutions under the guidance of your doctor.
Regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to monitor the status of the fluid and the condition of the baby.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 20 weeks pregnant. Diagnosed for less amniotoc fluis or oligohydromnious. Worrisome 4 hours later
thanks,Madam.
Please also suggest some tablets/capsules etc for the improvements of AFI.
Our doctor is asking for TORCH Test which cost around 2000 Rs. for this. Is this test related with Oligohydromnious and should we go for it.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later

You can take L-arginine granules in water, the regular tablets like folic acid, iron, calcium etc.
No specific tablets required. Mainstay of treatment is improving the hydration and treating the cause.
Sometimes TORCH group of infection can cause oilgohydromnios.
So as your doctor recommended you can go for it.
Depending on the result other possible anomalies can be estimated.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 20 weeks pregnant. Diagnosed for less amniotoc fluis or oligohydromnious. Worrisome 48 hours later
Thanks madam,
After how many days i should go for next ultrasound and is same AFI or less exist then what should I do

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 58 minutes later

Better to undergo ultrasound after one week.
If there is improvement with all the measures I previously mentioned you can continue the same treatment.
If the liquor level remains the same better to increase the number of intravenous fluids and amino acid solutions and try for one more week.
Even after that if no improvement is seen or liquor level decreases further there is a possibility for some congenital anomaly and better to think about termination with your doctor's advice.